Friday 24 July 2015

When days are hard {you know better than I}

One of my all-time favourite Bible accounts is that of Joseph. There is so much to learn from his life, and, of course, so many parallels to the life of Christ.

We have recently been struggling with ill children, and we have been watching some of our Bible story DVDs. If you have never watched "The Prince of Egypt", or "Joseph: King of Dreams", then I highly recommend them. They are made by Spielberg, and whilst there are some inaccuracies, they bring to life these great Old Testament lives. We discuss with the children when there are elements that are perhaps more for artistic effect, rather than accuracy, so that they understand. It doesn't, however, take away from the impact of these events. 

In the Joseph film, there is a brilliant song, whilst he is in prison. It's called "You know better than I".




I thought I did what's right
I thought I had the answer
I thought I chose the surest road
But that road led me here
So I put up a fight
And told You how to help me
And just when I had given up
The truth is coming clear

[Chorus]
For You know better than I
You know the way
I've let go, the need to know why
Cause You know better than I

If this has been a test
I cannot see the reason
But maybe knowin', I don't know
Is part of gettin through
I try to do what's best
And faith has made it easy
To see the best thing I can do
Is put my faith in You

[Chorus]

I saw one cloud and thought it was the sky
I saw a bird and thought that I could follow
But it was You who taught the bird to fly
If I let you reach me, will You teach me

For You know better than I
You know the way
I've let go, the need to know why
I'll take what answer You supply
Cause You know better than I







Every time we watch it, the children are generally ill. When the children are ill, I find it REALLY hard. I am a fairly stalwart, laid back person, until my children are unwell. I don't like that little ones can't tell you how they feel, and when you can't take away what they are going through.

At times like that, there is so much for me to learn. And, the words of this song sum it up so well.

Ultimately, in times of testing, THIS is what we all need to learn.

"You know better than I".

We try to do things our own way, we think we are doing our best, but trials WILL come. Why? Because God knows better than we do.

Like Joseph, we so often look back, and say "but God meant it unto good".

His ways are perfect.

His timing is perfect.

It's so easy to ask "why", but as the song says, it's as simple as this - we don't need to know why, because "you know better than I".

My life, so far, has been a dawdle compared to Joseph's. He went through bullying and unkindness, being sold as a slave, and then being falsely accused and sent to prison. It wasn't even a prison as comfortable as ours. It was a horrid thing. In it all, he acknowledged God's perfect plan.

I fail so often, and don't trust when I should, and this is a lesson I need to be reminded of EVERY SINGLE DAY.

If I just stop, and acknowledge God's sovereignty, my eyes are pulled away from my circumstances, and see, instead, God's goodness and grace, even in the trial.


"his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment:"
Deuteronomy 32:4



There's no "It's not fair", in the Christians vocabulary. God is just.

There's no "why can't life be more perfect", in our thoughts. God is perfect in His works.

Life isn't easy. When God leads us along the path HE has chosen, and guided us through, it's not always easy. What brings peace and comfort is that He is with us, and knows best.

He knows better than I, and I am SO thankful for that truth.








1 comment :

  1. Also, don't you think these times, when they are passed really make us appreciate when all are well? I do, as it makes me extra thankful, and reminds me not to take anything for granted. To appreciate pleasure, we need to also know pain. Sending hugs and prayers.x

    ReplyDelete