Thursday 13 February 2014

Glorifying God in weakness {how to be strong}

There are days when I feel weak.

So very weak.

Disturbed sleep with a crying 3 year old, then baby feeding more than normal in the night.

Challenging children.

Lots of questions with school.

A broken keyboard on my laptop, making typing HARD work.

Looking around the house and just seeing constant work to be done.

I'm tired.

I have a headache.

I feel weak, physically and emotionally...

But then, I remember.  I remember what Paul shared in the book of Corinthians.

"when I am weak, then am I strong"

When we recognise our own weakness, we more readily see God's strength.  When we are nothing - when we hit rock bottom - then we are at a place where God can truly work.  All of Him, none of us.

Those preceding verses sum it all up.

God whispers to us

"My grace is sufficient for thee"

Despite our weakness, and our imperfections, God's grace IS sufficient. It is all we need to get us through the most trying of times. When we are weak, then we are strong - strong in Christ and Christ alone.

The following verses take it to a whole striking, new level.

Paul GLORIES in his infirmities.

He takes PLEASURE in

"infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses "

That pretty much sums up a tough day in motherhood.

We need to pleasure and take glory in it, purely because we are only persevering in Christ's strength and grace.

How we should glory!

How we should take pleasure!

HE IS SUFFICIENT!

All our struggles, difficulties and trials are in HIS hands.  He will give us the strength to get through the day. The only strength we need is God's strength, and it IS sufficient.

Why would we want to feel strong, and take our eyes off God? I would rather feel weak and cast myself fully on Him to take my burden and make me feel HIS strength.

The alternative is to be like King Uzziah,

"as long as he sought the LORD, God made him to prosper."

"But when he was strong, his heart was lifted up to his destruction:"
(II Chronicles 26)


Weakness casts us on God - it makes us seek Him in prayer. It makes us rely on His ways and His wisdom.  It makes us cry to Him and takes our eyes off ourselves

When Uzziah began to rely on His own strength, he faced destruction.

I'd rather have weakness any day, than to come to that place where I think I can do it alone, and end up defeated and torn down.

So, I shall carry on in my day, keeping my eyes ever upward. Thanking God for my weakness, for in it I see Him, and rely on Him fully for the strength that I need.


No comments :

Post a Comment